Saturday, January 21, 2012

Born and Raising the Roof in Connecticut

Born and raised in Connecticut, I think I've been trying my whole life to escape. Just over a decade ago, I was offered a position teaching internationally in South America. I remember giving all of my winter clothes away to a good friend. I told her not to worry about keeping them for me because I would never be back. Of course, I did come back...and here I am, still daydreaming about my life in the caribbean and always planning my future escape. But in my quest to try to see the good in all things, I wonder if I haven't given Connecticut a fair shake. Here are five things I respect about Connecticut:

5. Pizza Paaarty: Although Connecticut offers a wide range of culturally diverse food options, I think pizza needs its own category here. The pizza in Connecticut is amazing. Right in New Haven, you have Frank Pepe's Pizza, Modern Pizza, and Sally's APizza, all of which, having received national recognition, are always a sense of great debate among Connecticut's residents. As for which brick oven pizza, garden-fresh sauce of perfection, and melted cheese deliciousness is the best, the jury is still out. 

4. Down with the Politics: One thing I love about Connecticut is the balance of politics. There have been several occasions where the majority of the people voted for a Democratic Presidential candidate while simultaneously having a Republican Governor in office. For example, from 1995 to 2011, Connecticut had a republican governor, and yet has voted for the democratic presidential candidate since 1992. It's refreshing that the people of the state are not necessarily devoted to a party but will take into account the individual running for office.

3. Caring for the Kids: World-wide, we have a long way to go with environmental issues, but one thing I am really proud of is that in 2005 Connecticut passed a law banning the use of pesticides on school lawns. The ban, which officially went into effect in 2010, applies to day cares as well as schools through grade 8. Last year, New York passed a similar ban which sadly makes them the only two states in the country currently requiring these regulations.

2. Nothing but Love for Connecticut: In October of 2008, Connecticut became the second state in the U.S. to recognize same-sex marriages. Currently, in 2012, there are only 6 states in the country. With the current rate of divorce in this country, perhaps people should worry more about their own relationships.

1. Keeping the Dream Alive: For the most part, I have found the people of Connecticut to be friendly, down-to-earth, and forward thinking. In addition, according to the 2005-2009 U.S.Census, 12.8% of Connecticut’s residents were born outside of the United States. I love the growing diversity of the state which I find generally results in an influx of culturally-diverse foods and original music as well as something we all need a lot more of: tolerance. After all, when did we forget that (unless you are 100% Native American) somewhere in your geneology, someone arrived in this country with a dream, a hope, and a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment