Thursday, January 5, 2012

Taking Up Optimism in 2012

As someone who has always been, by nature, optimistic, I do feel that I've lost some degree and measure of hope during the past decade. Amidst feeling bombarded by the constant media rainstorm of negative news of looming war, human deceit, and mindless and irrelevant celebrity gossip, I've always tried see the good in people and the possibilities of a better future. I would watch the news and think, What a limited view of the world? I'd wonder why we were so focused on such a narrow and negative view of the world and weren't, instead, focusing on the good. I think we've lost sight of the fact that there are good people in the world making significant contributions to humanity every day. Why is it that we are so interested in drama and betrayal and conflict as seen in our obsession with certain television programming? Why don't we value positive contributions to society? Why is it that we get so emotional when we hear about the goodness and generosity of people? And more importantly, why are we so surprised?

I've always believed that people are innately good, but (sadly) I feel that I've lost sight of that since the beginning of this century. I want to believe (and remember) that there's good in the world. I've often felt as if I want to make a difference, but I've felt helpless in how I can contribute. How can little ol' me make a difference in this big old world? Like so many others, I want to make a positive difference in the world. I want to live in a loving world, but I do feel overwhelmed by the dark cloud of despair that seems to have been looming in recent times. Mother Teresa said, "If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to one another." I feel a lack of harmony in our world and a disconnect from humanity. I smile and say hello to strangers, but when I look into people's eyes, I see sadness and inner turmoil.

I've never been very attached to the idea of a new year's resolution, but this year I've decided that I want my optimism back. Mahatma Ghandi said to "be the change you want to see in the world," and this is the change I want to see. My new year's resolution is to make a positive contribution in my own small way. I want to open my eyes to see the good, and I want to give back by spreading positivity. I truly believe that people are innately good but that our view of humanity has been greatly skewed by the negative focus of the media. I want to once again see, with the eyes of a child, all of the beauty and goodness in people; and hopefully that goodness will continue to grow and spread around the world. So while some people may be frightened by the anticipation of what awaits us in 2012, I have to say that I am hopeful...and optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment