Wednesday, September 14, 2011

nostalgia

Hurricane Irene 
  swept through my home 
state leaving many at the
  mercy of the darkness.

In the days that followed,
without power, there was
 a calm that came without
 the noises electricity
makes around the house.

People took to the streets,

And I saw kids outside, teen-
 agers too hanging around
friends and family talking 
 face to face in the open air.

 Families walked together,
flashlights bobbing a stream
of light against the street. One
 night, I drove by a laughing

family, in their front yard, talk-
ing to neighbors as the sun set
painted the sky. I went to sleep
 as the sky darkened,

without a care for time.

There was something peaceful
about it all. I really like this, I
admitted to myself. Days later,

the electricity came back on.
Shouts & cheers were heard around
the streets. Someone set off fireworks. 

And then all was quiet.

I went for a walk later that night
and thought about the closed
doors of the homes I passed. 

The streets were once again lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment